Skip to main content

Video: How to deliver a novel that hits the emotional beats you want your reader to feel



 


Craft a more effective story by using your characters' emotional beats in your plot - in this video I'll show you how using examples from Harry Potter and Stranger Things.

Previous videos in this series: 

Make planning (and writing) your novel easy. Grab The Novel Approach Planning Worksheet for just $9 (AU).
 

=====
Music: https://www.purple-planet.com
=====

=====
Fair Use: Stills and clips of copyrighted material is used for commentary and educational purposes.
=====

Emotional arc timeline examples

This video goes through: 

- Recap and explanation of the three-act structure re-drawn as an emotional timeline: 00:50.0

- SPOILER ALERT: Examples of emotional timelines from: 

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Starts at: 01:35.0 -- Ends at: 03:35.0 

Stranger Things Season 1 (Mike)
Starts at: 03:37.0 -- Ends at: 05:17.4

Stranger Things Season 1 (Nancy)
Starts at 05:17.6 -- Ends at: 06:26.0

Stranger Things Season 1 (Joyce)
Starts at 06:28.0 -- Ends at: 08:31.5

=====

Need help? Join one of my Novel Planning Intensives. You’ll work on your plan before and/or during the session. Every participant will get a chance to ask for advice on any part of their story where they are feeling stuck, or ask questions in general. Observer tickets are also available. Observers will get to see an overview of the Blueprint and how it works, but will leave the call before participants begin sharing. 

About me:

Hi, I’m Elle. I help aspiring and struggling authors make it through the lonely and overwhelming process of writing a novel with my Ultimate Accountability and Support Programme. You can benefit from my 20 years of experience as a developmental editor. I have a wealth of strategies to share with you that will make your writing project come together much more easily than going it alone. I’m also a published author, so I’ve travelled both sides of this road. I know what your baby means to you, and I know when and how to give advice and when to give a project space to grown. I’ve made tons of mistakes over the years and learnt a lot of what I know the hard way – I want you to be able to take a shortcut and save yourself time and money so that your book can begin to work for you as soon as possible.

What my clients say:

"I can’t believe how helpful it is to have my work picked apart the way you’ve done it. What I learned from your coaching was just as valuable as the hundreds of dollars I spent on “How-To” books on writing." ~ Paul Perron ~

"Without Elle I would never have come this far. This story would not be what it is without her marvellous input and amazing work. I am so grateful for her insights and wise reflections. I once feared my dyslexia, but thanks to Elle that fear crumbled. She made me believe that I am capable of great things." ~ Kylie Leane ~ 

"Your ability to isolate the pivotal points of the novel and show how they can be improved is nothing short of astonishing." ~ Michael Woods ~

=====

Get the Novel Approach Planning Sheet:





Elle Carter Neal coaches aspiring authors through planning, writing, and revising through The Novel Approach courses and memberships. She is the author of the middle grade fantasy The Convoluted Key (first in the Draconian Rules series), the picture book I Own All the Blue, and teen science-fantasy novel Madison Lane and the Wand of Rasputin (first in the Grounded series). Elle is based in Melbourne, Australia. Find her at ElleCarterNeal.com.

Author photo by Amanda Meryle Photography

Comments