If you miss the lightning bolt icon (it disappears if you keep typing), hover your mouse pointer over the text that was changed and it might reappear (if Word is not on a tea break). If not, click Undo (or press Ctrl and z). This will undo Word’s “AutoFormat” step. If you click the down-arrow next to the Undo button you will see how often Word has been AutoFormatting behind the scenes.
How to Turn Off AutoFormat
The lightning bolt icon has an option to open the AutoCorrect Options dialog box and this is probably the easiest option to select the AutoFormat and AutoCorrect features you want to turn off.
If you can’t access that icon, open the AutoCorrect Options dialog box by going through:
- Tools --- AutoCorrect Options --- AutoFormat Tab
- Office Button --- Word Options --- Proofing --- AutoCorrect Options
- File --- Word Options --- Proofing --- AutoCorrect Options
To turn off curly quotes:
- Under Replace, uncheck the box for Straight Quotes With Smart Quotes
- Under Replace, uncheck the box for Hyphens With Dash.
- Under Replace, uncheck the box for Border Lines.
Is Word driving you crazy? Then Word 4 Writers is for you. Learn to tame the monster and save your time in front of the screen for writing not fighting. Elsa Neal has been strong-arming Word for 14 years and teaching others to do the same. She is based in Melbourne, Australia.