Skip to main content

It's Never Too Late to Plan

I keep telling myself that as I frantically prepare for NaNoWriMo, which is suddenly only a week away. I am nowhere close to having a tale to tell, so any bit of help is a blessing. I'm not talking about maid service or a private chef, though both would be nice. I just need something to help me focus and simplify what seems like a huge challenge this year.  

Available on Amazon

To that end, I was enormously pleased to dig into a gorgeous and tightly written eBook called The 30-Day Novel by Merrie Destefano

It's a short book, hitting all the usual highlights of planning a novel, but in a brisk and concise way. Under 100 pages, some of which are clever MidJourney AI steampunk images and pages for notes, the book covers these topics:

Chapter One: Make A Commitment 

Chapter Two: Make A Plan 

Chapter Three: Plotting Versus Discovery 

Chapter Four: Story Building 

Chapter Five: Character Building. 

Chapter Six: World Building 

Chapter Seven: Make A Schedule

A quick, conversational read and focused enough to get me into a planning frame-of-mind, it includes exercises with prompts that will help you ideate your characters and their stories, as well as clever ideas to develop the personalities and their world. 

At $3.49 for the Kindle copy, it's also a steal! 

As well, the author has another writing book that is free to download right now. 


What are you waiting for? You still have a few days to prepare for National Novel Writing Month. If you haven't ever tried it, get ready for some marvelous worldwide group energy. Even if you're halfway through a book already, or are writing non-fiction, sneak into the act anyway. It's good fun, great focus, and any extra words you write just get you that much closer to the winner's circle. Good luck and good writing!

USA Today bestselling and award-winning author Merrie Destefano writes lyrical tales of magic, mystery, and hope. Her traditional books have been published by HarperCollins, Entangled Teen, and Walter Foster, while her indie imprint is Ruby Slippers Press. 

Sign up for her newsletter here



Dani Greer is founding member of the Blood-Red Pencil. She spends her days drinking coffee, writing, and herding trolls. Connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.
 

Comments

  1. Testing to see if the comments function works now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must confess I've never done NaNo, for a number of reasons. I found Book-in-a-Week hard enough, LOL. I will need to build up my writing stamina again -- after I've launched my course ':-)

    I'm looking forward to digging into Merrie's Writing Tips, though. Thanks for the link :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the intro to Merrie and her books, Dani. I've never done NaNo. November is just not a good month for me to try writing a novel in 30 days. If it was January, I'd consider it as that is a slow month in terms of family and holidays and all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November's not really a good month for us down here in Australia, either, as the weather is usually beginning to get nicer and we make the most of that sweet spot between cold and wet winter (in Melbourne) and bushfire season. But this year winter has lingered dreadfully and it's still cold and wet! If I wasn't launching a course, I might have considered bunking down to write an entire novel before December.

      Delete
  4. Really looking forward to digging into this book and improving my writing skills

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really excited to reading this book to help me with my writing skills

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook