Skip to main content

Writer Be Aware

The title for this post that first came to mind when I decided on a topic was "Writer Beware." Then after thinking about it for a bit, I realized that awareness of simple mistakes we all make at one time or another was more apt. 

Ever since a writer friend posted a comment on Twitter that maybe characters in our stories don’t need to nod all the time I’ve become super-sensitive to that movement. In a book I’m currently reading there’s a lot of nodding going on, and I have to wonder if I would’ve noticed that before the Twitter posting.

In reply to his tweet I commented that when we have a character nod, we don't have to say “nodded his or her head,” pointing out that there really isn’t another part of the body that one would nod. Of course, if we write sci-fi and have an alien species without a head, that character might nod an elbow or a knee, but for those of us who people our books with humans, we do know what part of the body is used for nodding.

Many of the other comments on his original Tweet made it clear that a lot of people were now becoming more aware of how often they were having a character nod. A few of the responders even left a smiley-face emoji, admitting that they always write “nodded his head.” 

Within a few minutes of reading that Tweet, and a few of the comments, I closed down Twitter to try to be a bit more productive that day. I opened the file for my current WIP, and what to my wondering eye should appear but a whole lot of nodding. 

Thankfully, I didn't often make the mistake that I call the “double assent.” It goes something like this: You have a character nod “in assent” or acknowledgment of something, and then follow that with wordage such as: Sarah nodded, “I agree,” she said. However, I cringed when I did find a few of those.

Writers shared many comments on that Tweet about their chagrin upon discovering gestures that they tend to use a way too much in their stories. Some examples of those pesky repetitive movements: Rubbing a hand through his thick hair, wiping a hand across the bristles of his cheek, sucking in a breath, and one that drove me absolutely nuts when I first started reading Faye Kellerman’s wonderful mysteries was “blowing out a breath.” It seemed like every time her detective reacted to something he would blow out a breath. Thankfully she dropped that after a few books and gave Decker a whole lot of other movements and gestures to use as he reacted to things.

I’ll admit that I have a few gestures that I overuse in my first drafts. That is to be expected in that first step of the writing when we're just trying to get the story down because we all write what is most familiar in terms of language and phraseology, awkward gestures and wordage repeats included. In the rewrite, we can change all those worn-out movements into something fresh.

The same goes for words that are overused and could do with a bit of a refresh. Just one example is the word “amazing.” If everything is amazing, then nothing is. Save the word for great vistas, or works of art, or surprising revelations from a character. The word loses its potency when ascribed to a yummy desert in one chapter, then used in response to seeing Mt. Everest for the first time.  Likewise, “beautiful” and “great” are words that lose their power when used too often in too many instances.

While doing a Google search for more information on overused words, I came across this fun post at Buzzfeed where authors share some of their realizations about some of their bloopers. Here are just a couple of the comments, and I hope you check out the article to read them all. It's a quick read and worth a chuckle or two.

"Mine are shrugging, raising their eyebrows, running a hand through their hair or shifting their weight. It’s like bloody am-dram." Jodie Chapman  author of  Another Life

"My characters have scrunched their eyes in confusion so often they look like Zelda from Terrahawks.

I also keep deleting "indeed" as a condescending response, which leaves just a hundred or so in my portfolio 😂"  John Drake  author of Zoomers

Now I must be off to do some more editing to find the rest of my bloopers. If you care to share some of yours, please do in the comments.

Maryann Miller is a novelist, editor, and sometimes an actress. She's written a number of mysteries, including the critically-acclaimed Seasons Mystery Series that debuted with Open Season. Information about her books and her editing rates is available on her website.

 

Comments

  1. Grinning. That's the action I notice most. Smirking is another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pardon the delay in responding to comments. I'm in Boston for wedding and was not online much or at all.

      Delete
  2. "Smirking" is one word I absolutely hate. People seem to think it's a straight-across synonym for "smiling." It's not. It denotes smugness or condescension. "'I love you,' he smirked" carries a completely different emotional tone that "'I love you,' he said" does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Anonymous. Only villains should smirk. Ok, maybe siblings or warriors who are pranking each other. The hero and heroine should not smirk at each other, it destroys the romance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a whole list of overused words I search for before submitting to a publisher, but the one that comes to mind in body language is shrugging. My editor called me out for that one. All of my characters were guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, Maryann! I have my "pets" too. My characters do a lot of nodding, smiling, grinning, turning, and I use "warm" a lot. Thank goodness for the "find" application! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just went through my WIP, and there are 46 NODs in one form or another. Thanks for the hit on the head. It is a word that doesn't seem to have a good synonym. Bobbing, jerking, etc all stop my reading. I first read blowing out a breath in a book by James Lee Burke, who uses the phrase frequently. Sighing is another word. I once told a critique partner that I thought "sigh" belonged only to a woman, but no, it doesn't. Sometimes when trying to be original, we go overboard with phrases that no one would say, or write. Great post, Maryann. Now to go over my manuscript and find better ways of saying nod or delete the ones I have. Hmm, silently agreed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found the post helpful, Polly. I think the original point from that other writer on Twitter is that we can have characters nod occasionally, not just all the time. Some good advice I received in a writing class was, never use dialogue when a gesture will work, and skip the gesture when nothing is needed. This was a scriptwriting class and the professor ended with skip the dialogue and the movement when a look will work. Can't do that easily in a novel, but might be fun to experiment.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep an ever growing list of repetitive words and phrases. In my YA series, one of the characters grabbed another's tunic about every other page. Now I put in a lot of placeholders or note "fill in visceral response here." "Describe fight here." I go through my repetitive list as a revision round. To me, there's no point in fixing all that in the draft stage. Just put down what comes naturally, the things you pull right off the front shelf, then go back and revise after you are done cutting and adding scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea about the placeholders Diana. I tend to do the same when a change doesn't come to mind right away.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the reminder, Maryann. I do have some "favorites" that appear way too often. Even when trying to avoid overuse, I find it much too easy to use what is familiar rather than seeking a better (and less common) alternative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook