Skip to main content

That Thrill of a First Sale

A friend on Twitter recently commented about how excited she was about her first sale of a short story, and that reminded me of the thrill I had at my first major sale. I'd been writing for a couple of newspapers already, but when Lady's Circle published "A String of Pearls" and sent me a check for a whopping $125, I felt like I'd finally made it to the big time.

One of my newspaper gigs at that time was penning a weekly humor column, and of course, I had to write about the experience. The following is just a bit of that nonsense..er, week's offering. 


When I sold my first short story to a major magazine my family joined me in the excitement, and we were all happily playing Howard Hughes around here for a while. My husband started planning his retirement. The kids started picking out houses in the country. And I had visions of never having to look at another price tag again before buying a pair of jeans. 

Meanwhile I had not even cashed the check yet. I was afraid to cash it because I knew all too soon it would be gone and besides that, it was such a big thrill to go look at it every now and then. 

I know that will pass, since it only took me two weeks to stop opening the magazine every five minutes to see my byline. Still, no other acceptance will probably ever mean as much or create quite the stir that this one did.

Someday, will discussing the terms of a sale with an editor in New York become old hat? Will I not break out in a cold sweat when I pick up the phone? Will I have to act all cool and professional on the outside, while on the inside I'm jumping up and down for joy?

Someday I won't call my best friend to announce, "You are now speaking to a famous writer person."

"Who is this? Is this some sort of a crank call?" 

We're all entitled to our glory dreams, and mine sure was fun while it lasted. But all too soon the excitement died down to a dull roar, and the rejection slips started littering my desk again. So, we had to resign ourselves to the fact that perhaps we would have to wait a while before starting to recklessly throw money around buying mink coats and hamburger.

My oldest daughter gave up her dream of a whole new bedroom set with maybe a new bedroom to put it in. My oldest son went back to mowing lawns for the money for his new mag wheels, and my second son started collecting cans to keep himself in spending money. I resigned myself to another year in the bargain basement, and unfortunately, my husband still had to get up every morning and go to work. (Someone had to keep me in typing paper and postage.)


Following that first sale to Lady's Circle, I sold a couple of other short stories, as well as some articles to that magazine. Since they only bought first American publication rights to the stories, I was able to much later publish the stories online. "A String of Pearls"  became "Making it Home".  



Now, many moons, and many sales later, I will say that the thrill of getting an acceptance is still the same as it was for that first one. I don't think anything about the process of getting our work out there for readers gets less exciting no matter how many times we're published. 

Perhaps if we get blasé about the end result, we might get blasé about the writing itself, and that would never be a good thing. So, I told my Twitter friend to celebrate her moment to the fullest, and celebrate every other one that comes along in the future. To her question of whether to cash the check or not, I suggested she copy it, then cash it.

That's what I did after a few weeks of smiling at that first check from Lady's Circle. Since this was prior to computers and home-office copy machines, I had to go to Office Depot to get the copy. The man that took care of that for me, barely blinked, obviously not ready to toast me with a glass of champagne, like my friend did after she realized it wasn't a crank call. 

Writer friends, do you remember your first sale? Do you still get as excited at a new one? Are you waiting for that special "first" and planning a huge party? Please do share in the comments, and in the meantime Happy Writing.



Award-winning author Maryann Miller has numerous credits as a columnist, novelist, screenwriter, and playwright, and she also has an extensive background in editing. You can find out more about Maryann, her books, and her editing services on her Website and her Amazon Author Page read her Blog, and follow her on Facebook and Twitter 




 

Comments

  1. My first sale was an article about our journey to adopt a Korean orphan. Purchased and published by a regional Midwest magazine, it thrilled me almost beyond words. My next huge thrill came with the delivery of 20 hard copies of my first novel. I literally dissolved in tears of joy. Holding one of those books in my hand evoked an excitement second only to the births of my children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holding those first books can be such a wonderful moment. And much like the thrill I had with the arrival of a new member to our family, each book I get to hold is as thrilling as that first.

      Delete
  2. I don't remember the money I made from my first sale, but I do remember the sales I got from a BookBub ad. I watched the numbers online soar and thought similar thoughts to you about things I needed for the house. That was 2012, a very good year. There's never been another one even close. I still have dreams though. I still think I'll get an email from a producer wanting to turn my series into a TV show or one of my books into a movie. Alas, in reality, I know it won't happen, but it's still fun to dream. Ah, Maryann, those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were good days from 2010 thru about 2013. Then the market got so saturated with books, some poorly written, formatted, edited, that readers got wary of ebooks for quite a while.

      The dream of a TV deal always looms. That's why I got so excited, for a day or so, when I got an email that was supposed to be from Netflix wanting to buy one of my books. Turned out to be a scam. It pays to have a grandson who's an attorney.

      I didn't know that folks were actually pretending to be execs from Netflix and contacting authors like they did me. I hop new authors don't fall for the scam.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the heads up on this, Maryann. I had never heard of this either.

      Delete
    3. I didn't know about the Netflix scam either. I probably would have fallen for it.

      Delete
    4. Polly, I almost fell for it. Thankfully, I remembered something about film licensing from when I was working in the industry. Plus, it helped that my grandson is an attorney and could do some digging around to spot signs of the scam.

      Delete
  3. I think the first anything is always more exciting, but if one becomes numb to the excitement, they should probably just stop there. I think many of us dream of movies, merchandise, perhaps an amusement park (I had it all planned out) lol. But dreams cost nothing.They just don't pay the rent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely doesn't hurt to dream, Diana, but also good to know enough to recognize a scam.

      Delete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook