Skip to main content

My Kindle Vella Update

Let me crow about my successes with Kindle Vella so far this year!


First, Amazon just gave me a bonus that was FOUR TIMES more than the previous month. Wow. To say I was delighted is an understatement. 

Second, I now have one completed middle grade reader published. Princess Willy Be is still #26 in Top Children's Stories.

Read Here

I will complete a 28-chapter romance novella this week. It's the prequel to the Morristown Murder Mystery series that will publish next, and I plan to repackage it as a regular eBook to give as a free promotion when the mystery title releases.

Read Here

I have also started revising and publishing, episode (chapter) by episode, my 2017 NaNoWriMo novel, which is mostly just being tweaked by chapter to make shorter, more readable episodes. 

Read Here

I am once again a published author. Yay, me! And, apparently, I write in very short paragraphs now. 😁

At this point in my life, it all seems like a miracle.

So... money + publication = a Kindle Vella publishing experience that, to me, is a total success. I don't plan to stop anytime soon.

What has been a little frustrating is how few people know what Kindle Vella is about, readers and writers alike. It reminds me of the early days of self-publishing and KDP eBooks. Even authors poo-pooed the concept back then. Yet, today, no respectable publisher lets digital rights go. No author would have a book in print and not have a corresponding eBook. It's virtually unheard of.

So why another new Amazon platform? Apparently, more and more people, especially the young, like to read serial novels on their cellphones. That's what Kindle Vella is all about. Here's the overview I like to share for the uninitiated. 

You can read an even better overview at this Reedsy article

Currently there are almost 25,000 titles on the platform, even though it's still in beta test. Authors like Eloisa James have joined. Hugh Howey was an early participant, and more writers are jumping onboard daily. 

Predictably, the level of writing skill is a mixed bag, but there is also a surprisingly high quality of writing as well. As I mentioned, it reminds me of the early days of eBooks when Amazon leveled the playing field for indie authors. I see the same focus and investment for this serial platform. 

Will it succeed? I think it will depend largely on Amazon's continued investment. An author panel at an upcoming writers' conference will probably herald some level of acceptance on the part of the writing industry. I don't think we're quite there yet.

Next post, I'll share with you how an author promotes a book published on Kindle Vella. Heard of TikTok? Ever make animated memes? I have discovered all kinds of new skills and talents in my advancing years! What do you think of this bit of cleverness?

You can follow me at TikTok to see more of my videos. It's an adventure, that's for sure.

Anything new and exciting in your writing and publishing life these days? Do leave me a comment!


Dani Greer is founding member of the Blood-Red Pencil. She spends her days drinking coffee, writing, and herding trolls. Connect with her on FacebookTwitter, and heaven help her, TikTok.
  

Comments

  1. As always, your posts are full of info that I need. Thank you, Dani! KV is still in my crosshairs for summer (I hope) publication. Currently putting the finishing touches on 2 novels that will be offered by KDP. Then comes Kindle Vella. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, you can publish on Kindle Vella first, then wait 30 days, and then publish KDP eBooks. You cannot do it the other way around. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of your accomplishments, Dani! Following your progress avidly. Go, go, go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an exciting adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice bonus, Dani ... unfortunately, four times bonus for me would only amount to $9.68. But, hey, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, eh? Chris Hudson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting and I'm so happy for you. You're right about it just needing time for this new platform to really take off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Dani. KV is too demanding for me, but if it gets you to write, more power to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook