Skip to main content

Goodbye, Dog Days!

The original title of this piece was "Old Dogs, New Tricks". Then I recalled using that same title in 2016. But that's okay. I like my new title better. 

The phrase "dog days" kept nagging at me, so I conferred with Merriam-Webster to get a clear understanding of the term's meaning. Often said in reference to the hot, muggy time between early July and early September, it refers to the typically uncomfortable, steamy temperatures north of the equator during those two months. Then I saw it had a second definition: "a period of stagnation or inactivity". That pretty well sums up the last two years, thanks to COVID-19 and family. Hence, "Old dogs, new tricks" rolled seamlessly into "Goodbye, Dog Days".

We've had some excellent posts recently on the topic of Kindle Vella. I planned to serialize a novel (then 2 or 3 more, perhaps, if the "test drive" went well). However, a brainstorm hit me with unexpected suddenness. While not reinventing the "wheel", it pointed out to me that one size does not fit all. Several forms of writing (some books, some a bit different) would lend themselves to a serial format.

I remember reading Letters for Emily by Camron Wright. Published in 2002, this poignant, insightful story chronicles the last years of a grandfather dying of Alzheimer's Disease and his desire to leave something of value to his favorite granddaughter while he still has enough memory to fulfill this final wish. Why did this book come to mind? It makes me think of a series of letters, perhaps from a young husband to his wife in WW2, the Korean conflict, Vietnam, Afghanistan, or Iraq. Or they could be from a parent to children or grandchildren, a son or daughter to a parent, a brother or sister to a sibling. Children's letters from summer camp. Love letters from those separated by distance or circumstances. And the list goes on. Of course, all such letters should be approved for public print by their authors if they are still living or by the holder of that correspondence. Also, they would need to appeal to a significant range of readers because of their humor, their poignancy, their wisdom, or some other quality that would make readers want to follow more of the writer's words. Brief comments on the circumstances surrounding each letter would add to reader interest.

Some poetry may offer another potential for serialization. While not a separate genre on KV, its content may fit one of the categories (Romance? Life?), especially if it includes a brief explanation of what inspired the poem. Why might poetry be relevant today? On occasion, I watch talent shows such as The Voice, American Idol, Britain's Got Talent, etc. Sometimes, singers—even very young ones—come with music they've composed and words that can reduce the listener to tears. We are living in difficult times for all of us, but especially for young ones who are struggling with their present and wondering if they will have a future. Often song lyrics are simply words from the heart set to music. Such words can touch those who hear (or read) them. By extension, groups of serialized poems on a given topic could do the same by giving expression to feelings that readers may be unable to articulate on their own.

Back to "Goodbye, Dog Days". Saying adios to inactivity and stagnation is the new order of the day. I am considering an alternative to the traditional novel, but one that lends itself to effective serialization. Once my idea is fully developed and refined, I will share details.

Are you considering a future with Kindle Vella? If so, and if you want to share, please feel free to do so.

Editor Linda Lane has returned to her first love—writing—while maintaining her editing work. Her novels lean toward the literary category because they are character driven rather than plot driven, but their quick pace reminds the reader of genre fiction. You can contact her through her website:  LSLaneBooks.com 

Comments

  1. One of my friends started with Kindle Vella right off the bat. I think she's doing well with it, but for me, it's too much of a commitment, too much pressure to produce on a regular basis. Wishing you luck to succeed should you venture into something new. Anything new is good. My new might be a book that's way out of my comfort zone as far as genre, but first I have to finish the one I'm working on now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need to do what works for us. Writing, like many other jobs, is never a one-size-fits-all occupation. Writers are artists and creators, just like painters and sculptors and graphic designers and musicians, etc. So march to your own drummer, Polly, and know that's exactly the place you need to be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post about letters, Linda. I still have a collection of letters written to me from my mother, others from kids in my drama camps, and a lot from my husband. Letter writing like that was always so special.

    As to the Kindle Vella question, I have been tempted, but because I never know when my head pain and meds will allow writing time, I don't want to start one more things. I still have two books in progress, plus the occasional short story pops up.

    I'll sure support everyone else who tries it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook