Skip to main content

Procrastination plus Writer's Block


A look at past Blood Red Pencil posts indicates procrastination is a challenge for many and often comes hand-in-hand with writer's block.

 


  

My Cure for Writer’s Block and Procrastination

Pat Stoltey: "Last year I needed something more drastic. A new approach to motivating myself."

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

My Cure for Writer’s Block and Procrastination

 

Everybody has a cure, right? A way to pull yourself out of the doldrums and get back to being a writer who writes. We try them all from setting timers and typing gibberish to practicing with writing prompts until an idea kicks in. Maybe we try three morning pages every day... [Read more]

 


   

How do I Procrastinate?

Heidi Thomas: 

Monday, March 7, 2011

How do I Procrastinate?

I hereby dub myself “Queen of the Procrastinators.” How do I procrastinate? Let me count the ways... [Read more]

 


   

Journaling Your Way to Creativity

Shonell Bacon:

Monday, July 7, 2014

Journaling Your Way to Creativity

As the first-half of 2014 closes and the second-half opens, some of us writers might find our writing much like us when we step outside in the heat: wilted.

This month, I wanted to share one of my favorite ways of reinvigorating my creative writing: journaling...

[Read more]

 


   

Overcoming Writer's Block

Diana Hurwitz:

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Overcoming Writer's Block

Writer's block is most often internal resistance based on fear which drives writers to self-sabotage and procrastinate. If you expose the source, you can battle it

[Read more]

 


  

Every Month Can be a New Beginning

Pat Stoltey: "...Overwhelmed Writer Rescue is for those of us who have problems related to procrastination, balancing writing time with work and family, or prioritizing projects."

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Every Month Can be a New Beginning

We tend to make yearly resolutions or goals, setting our desires down in a tidy list that acts like a straight jacket, holding us to the promises of January 1st no matter what happens in February or July or November. Failure to meet one or more of those goals... [Read more]

 


 

 Selected by Ann Parker


Comments

  1. My follow-up on the Writer's Block and Procrastination post: I finished that frontier fiction novel and it's now under contract with Five Star...and I have a solid first draft of a new mystery to revise and edit. I declare my method a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY, PAT!! :-D That's awesome news and an inspiration! Congratulations!! What's the title of your frontier fiction novel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called In Defense of Delia. The story is set in 1838 in Illinois (four years after Wishing Caswell Dead). Delia returns after 13 years on the run. She now has an outlaw's reputation and a gang of outlaws on her trail.

      Delete
  3. Writer's block takes a toll on productivity, no doubt about that. The suggestions for curing it piqued my interest, so I'll be checking them out to see which one(s) work for me. On another note, I'm looking forward to In Defense of Delia; if it's as good as Wishing Caswell Dead, it will be a winner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook