Skip to main content

Let's Talk About Sex - Handling Sex Scenes and Sexual Tension in Your Book

Writing sex scenes: an awkward topic, but not one we've shied away from

 



Ask the Editor - Sex Scenes in a Romance Novel 

Shelley Thrasher advises using the CLICK acronym.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ask the Editor - Sex Scenes in a Romance Novel

Question: I would like to know in contemporary romance, what is the rule of thumb as to how many sex scenes there should be in a novel.

Michele Cameron
Moments of Clarity



Michele,

I’ve edited about fifty contemporary romances during the past four years and have never...
[Read more]

 



Scintillating Sex or Subtle Suggestion

Linda Lane:

Friday, February 14, 2014

Scintillating Sex or Subtle Suggestion


It has been said that love makes the world go ’round, and many of us still believe that. Back in 1955 (for those who are old enough to remember), a romantic Frank Sinatra ballad compared love and marriage to a horse and carriage, stating in both cases that they were inseparable. Is that true?

[Read more]

 



The sexual journey: Exploring erotica with Kathy Kulig, Part I

Kathryn Craft interviews Kathy Kulig:

Monday, October 25, 2010

The sexual journey: Exploring erotica with Kathy Kulig, Part I

Gutsy heroines and hunky heroes face the unexpected and overcome formidable odds, because with courage, true love can find a way…

Such are the steamy romances Kathy Kulig loves to read and the stories she loves to write. Her erotica has been published in print, e-books and anthologies... [Read more]

 



Monday, October 25, 2010

The sexual journey: Exploring erotica with Kathy Kulig, Part II

Kathryn Craft: You write under your own name; others take on pen names. What went into this decision, for you? [Read more]




Shon Bacon interviews Rachelle Chase:

Monday, October 18, 2010

Talking Sexual Overtones with Author Rachelle Chase

Two years ago, I talked to author Rachelle Chase about writing sex scenes as part of a series on my blog All the Blog's a Page. For the talk, I asked two questions: Is sex an important component to develop in your writing, and how are you able to weave it into a work and also have a strong plot development? Her detailed response is... [Read more]




Jim Thomsen chimes in with a post about sexual tension:

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sexual Tension Is Sexier Than Sex

One of the sexiest scenes I've ever read in a novel can be found in Free Fire, a mystery by C.J. Box. In it, Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett teams with Judy Demming, a National Park Service ranger, to investigate a killing in Yellowstone National Park... [Read more]

 



Shon Bacon interviews Samara King:

Monday, February 10, 2014

Let's Talk about Sex (in Writing) with Author Samara King

I don’t call Samara my favorite romance author because she’s my best friend. No, I call her that because her stories have wonderful blends of intriguing characters, humor, fierce attraction between heroine and hero, great sex, great stories (so that the sex isn’t just a prop), and a fast pace that makes you want to race to the end of the story... [Read more]



Comments

  1. I wonder why, in this day and age, we still think of sex as an awkward topic. I don't find it so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think sex is an awkward topic. To me, it's a private topic. Perhaps this is why I only allude to it in my stories. I don't watch movies with sex scenes; however, I do remember one in Dances with Wolves. While it took me by surprise, I didn't find it offensive. But then it wasn't accompanied by any nudity, so I didn't get that "Peeping Tom" feeling.

      Delete
  2. I guess I am not uncomfortable with nudity either. I do admit graphic sex in the written word is easier than watching it onscreen. There is a bit more of a voyeuristic feeling watching a sex scene. But talking about it? That isn't really all that personal. Why be uncomfortable about discussion? We are so weird in modern vernacular, the Victorian word for the sexes has become genders. Very bizarre indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook