Skip to main content

Anyone Freaking Out Yet?

For me, the only thing that gives me pause is going to the grocery store. I feel like the guy in this photo as I’m approaching the doors to go in.

Pixabay

This month on the Blood-Red Pencil, we’re going to journal a few of our thoughts and activities, (pondering the sudden way life changed on us as well as what make us feel awful and what lifts our spirits), sharing anecdotes, posting photos of how we occupy our minds and keep our bodies fit, and asking you to share your feelings and activities if you wish.

My last trip to the supermarket left me with two resolves: 1) Don’t go back unless I’m wearing a mask, and 2) Just get stuff delivered whenever possible. I shopped at 7 AM to take advantage of the senior shopping hours, but I found not everyone is happy with that. As I was loading my groceries in the trunk, a younger and apparently seriously uninformed lady was getting back in her car, screaming, “I’ll find another store to shop at. I’m sure there are plenty of stores who’ll want to take my money.” Really? After more than a week of the well-advertised senior hours, she didn’t know? I wonder if she even knows about COVID-19.

Small unpleasant encounters aside, I’m finding people of all ages to be beautiful and kind and helpful and generous and encouraging and supportive. And that’s a wonderful thing.

For social time, I’m zooming a lot. My book club, two of my organizations, my writers group, and a cousin/grandcousin/greatgrandcousin group use Zoom and I like that a lot. The cowgirl hat in this photo was to hide my overgrown mop of unruly hair because it has now been almost 8 weeks since I got a haircut.


I like to watch the Facebook Live concerts by my favorite music stars. I vacated my chair to get a snack while watching Brad Paisley and came back to find Sassy enjoying the performance.


My husband and I are still working on a 4,000 piece jigsaw puzzle that we started before this horrid virus made its presence known. I suspect we’ll still be working on the puzzle when all you under 60 folks are allowed out and about. Katie Cat never fails to jump up on the table and stir the puzzle pieces while we work.


Because I’m a glutton for punishment, I spend a little too much time checking out the news updates and statistics for my state and county, but I make myself shut it off after supper and focus on reading or watching some of my backlogged favorite shows on television for total escape.

And on a side note, the only things so far that have brought tears to my eyes were Brad Paisley singing In the Garden and the sight of the USNS Comfort moving up the river toward New York City. Sometimes it’s the little things that break through our bravado.

Do you have an anecdote for us? A favorite activity? The one thing that brought tears to your eyes? We’d love to have you share.



Pat (Patricia) Stoltey is the author of four novels published by Five Star/Cengage: two amateur sleuth, one thriller that was a finalist for a Colorado Book Award in 2015, and the historical mystery Wishing Caswell Dead (December 20, 2017), a finalist for the 2018 Colorado Book Awards. This novel is also now available in a large print edition. Her short story, “Good Work for a Girl,” appears in the Five Star Anthology, The Spoilt Quilt and Other Frontier Stories: Pioneering Women of the West released in November 2019.

Pat lives in Northern Colorado with her husband Bill, Scottish Terrier Sassy (aka Doggity), and brown tabby Katie (aka Kitty Cat).

You can learn more about Pat at her website/blog, on Facebook, and Twitter. She was recently interviewed for the Colorado Sun’s SunLit feature that you can find at the Colorado Sun website.

Comments

  1. I'm still doing okay - just distracted more than usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally had to make a schedule to remember the important things I had to do each day. :D

      Delete
  2. We have some idiots on board down here in a town of 120,000 seniors but the majority are finding ways to help by sewing masks, donating to food pantries, utilizing their skills in any way they can to benefit others. Most people here are 55 and over. The amount of people giving back to communities through charities,mentoring young people, volunteering at hospitals and clinics, sending care kits to servicemen and women, and generally putting their talents and experience to give back to the world. It is inspiring. It is also inspiring to see the level of physical activity and senior olympians show that it is never to late to get fit and stay fit no matter your physical limitations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had just started working with at personal trainer at our Senior Center gym when things got shut down. Luckily, I already had been given a nice varied exercise routine to work on. I'm also walking more now that I'm a little over 4 months past the knee replacement. The dog loves that part.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Pat. Your words are encouraging. I'm keeping busy, getting out in the sunshine and walking every day. That helps keep me sane! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi--I was enjoying lovely spring-like weather for several days but today the bottom dropped out on the temperature and it's snowing. I don't think my flowers and the tree blossom buds are going to like this at all.

      Delete
  4. Glad you are well and able to extend your walking.

    Kind friends have surprised me with homemade food drop offs twice, which definitely lifts the spirits.

    As for your unpleasant encounter, the newly coined word is "covidiot". Here's hoping they are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, Liz. I don't wish anything too horrible on the covidiots, but some of them are doing real damage. I noticed several of the new COVID-19 cases in our area were in their 20s and wondered if the were among the clueless spring breakers we all saw on TV.

      Delete
  5. As a lifelong introvert and a happy homebody, I don't mind being housebound by decree. However, I find it interesting that the urge to go for a short drive is much stronger when I am ordered to stay home. As of midnight tonight, the governor is prohibiting all non-essential travel. We can go out only for a very few necessary reasons, none of which apply to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I think the restrictions are going to keep tightening up on all of us. Like you, I'm an introvert and homebody, but that temptation to just take a ride is pretty hard to resist, especially on a beautiful day. After seeing all those maps showing decreased pollution levels in some areas, though, it's a little easier to let the car sit in the garage.

      Delete
  6. Love your pink hat, Pat. I think it needs to become a regular accessory <3

    One of the other parents at our school set up a Facebook group when it looked like the school might be closed and when we were starting to go through unexpected shortages. The group was a way to help each other out with sourcing items and resources. We all added other local friends and now the group is 260 members strong. One person set up a lending library using her parcel mailbox when the government libraries closed. Other members have been dropping items off there - more books, craft items, as well as extra TP and cleaning products (books get wiped down frequently and gloves are provided too). Another family grabbed some coloured chalk and drew beautiful messages and pictures along a walkway for other people to enjoy. It has been amazing to get to know our local community a little more and discover that there are a lot of lovely people in this area :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may have to wear weird hats until I can finally get my hair cut, Elle. It has a lot of body and it's wavy (but never waves in the right direction).

    I recently joined the NextDoor group online for my part of town and I'm seeing all kinds of generosity and kindness there. That, in addition to offers from my close in-person (at a proper social distance) neighbors warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life has gone on as usual here. Finishing work, walking the dog, no grocery shopping since the big shutdown, but did visit grandchildren. Home now and pretending I'm working.

    I need to dig out a jigsaw puzzle I have. That would be fun. Where did you get a 4,000 word puzzle? I'd buy one and send it to my son.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way you are coping through this, Pat. "In the Garden" is one of my favorite hymns. A good friend just reminded me on my blog of when my father and I called her to sing that for her. We were in TX, she is in South Dakota. That was her mother's request any time I was visiting with my guitar in hand. When Mam had Alzheimer's and couldn't even remember our names, she remembered that song and a tear would roll slowly down her cheek when I played for the residents in the home where she spent her last two years after her daughter could no longer care for her at home. Listening to Brad Paisley brings back sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook