Skip to main content

2018 Accomplishments

The main accomplishment with any year is surviving it. 2018 was no different. A new health issue gets tossed my way every year. Fate and I have such a contentious relationship, we can barely muster the energy so say "FU" as we pass each other in the hallways of life.

That said, I still managed a few things. From 2008 to 2014, I created the Story Building Blocks series. I later added a Build A Cast Workbook. In late 2017 into early 2018, I created fourteen genre Build A Plot Workbooks, one for each genre based on the conflict layering process I developed for  Story Building Blocks I: The Four Layers of Conflict. I also added a Build A World Workbook.

My web host went out of business, forcing me to quickly find another home for my website. So, I updated my website to accommodate the new books and added free forms and tools. I posted tips from those books on my weekly blog.

I failed in my goal to learn more about marketing, but it is still on the list of goals for 2019. I sponsored a presenter at the Writers Police Academy to help advertise and support a terrific conference. In addition, I assembled a master list of writing workshops and conferences for the Blood Red Pencil which I plan to update each year.

I had someone ask if there was story building software. Alas, I am not a programmer, but it gives me ideas for the future. Perhaps video classes on You Tube. I have been gathering data on how to make that happen.

In 2018, I also released ten-year anniversary editions of my Mythikas Island series. The books got fresh covers and beautifully formatted interiors. I have learned so much since the original books were published through BookSurge. I even worked on an omnibus edition. Still deciding on whether to release it.

I had a couple of ideas for new fiction books too. Still noodling with them. They may go somewhere, or not. It's hard to stay focused when your physical resources diminish your mental and emotional resources.

My goals for 2019 are to learn more and decide where I want to go from here. I have always been motivated by service and helping others.Sometimes, especially of late, I want to hide out with a stack of books in a beach bungalow in Fiji and hope Fate can't find me, the mad cow.  So we'll see.


Diana Hurwitz is the author of Story Building Blocks: The Four Layers of Conflict, Story Building Blocks II: Crafting Believable Conflict, Story Building Blocks III: The Revision Layers, and the YA adventure series Mythikas Island. Her weekly blog, Game On: Crafting Believable Conflict explores how characters behave and misbehave. Visit DianaHurwitz.com for more information and free writing tools. You can follow her on Facebook and Twitter

Comments

  1. Wow, you have accomplished a lot. Maybe it's exactly because you won't give into your ailments. Brava, Diana. Keep up the good work. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beach bungalow in Fiji is a wonderful idea. In addition to the stack of books, I would need a couple of big notebooks (college ruled) and a whole box of ballpoint pens. And a coffee machine in my room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geesh, I hit enter before I finished by adding my congratulations on the tremendous amount of work you've done. Those annoying health issues can't hold a good woman down.

      Delete
  3. Wow, can I relate to how challenging 2018 was! You've managed to accomplish more than I did, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Diana! I'm especially impressed with your determination to acquire new skills, something I've been reluctant to do. Your list of achievements would be impressive for anyone who has stellar health. For one who accomplishes so much despite major health issues, it's both amazing and inspiring. One last thought: issuing an omnibus edition is a fantastic idea. Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on all you've accomplished despite limitations. I can fully relate to the challenges you have faced. My family and I have a ritual of saying "FU" to Ramsay Hunt Syndrome who has created havoc for me since Jan 2016.

    You are so right in having the attitude of keeping on keeping on. When we are driven to create, we have no other choice. When I am not able to write, even a little bit each day, I am in a much worse place emotionally than dear old Ramsay can put me.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook