Skip to main content

10 Resolutions for 2014

In honour of everyone putting new calendars up on their walls (I have two - one with chickens, one with penguins), here are ten resolutions to ponder. The seriousness and length of your pondering is up to you.

10. I will make healthier food choices. NOTE: The operative word, of course, is healthier. Healthier than what? And whose? You could choose to make Healthier choices than those made by King Edward VII of Great Britain who would routinely sit down to twelve course dinners. Good for you. Let me put down my pop tart and applaud.

9. I will take more exercise. NOTE: You walk from your desk to the refrigerator. You could have installed a fridge near your desk, but no, you chose otherwise. You’re an Olympian.

8. I will expand my vocabulary. NOTE: The verb in this resolution is ‘expand’, not ‘improve’. It’s not your fault if people assume the latter. I suggest spending some time familiarizing yourself with Shakespearean curses such as those found on this website, The Shakespeare Insult Kit. It’s time well-spent.

 7. I will finish what I start.  NOTE: This is not as difficult as it seems. If you finish reading this post, then you’ve finished what you’ve started. The same goes for eating up that piece of cake. But, if you insist on taking this in a writing-related way, then remember there is no time limit stated in this resolution. It might be implied, but it’s not stated.

6. I will take a larger role in supporting other writers. NOTE: This is easy. Why? Because everyone else’s writing isn’t yours. Thus, you can read at it without the howls of self-judgment echoing through your head. It’s like cleaning someone else’s house; you’re not responsible for the mess. You’re cleaning up someone else’s squalor.

It therefore follows that...

5. I will try to be less harsh when judging my own work. *snicker* Okay. Let me know how it goes.

4. I will write every day. NOTE: Writing a grocery list is writing. Texting is writing. This resolution did not identify any particular type of writing, just that you would write. You’re golden.

3. I will read more. NOTE: What you read is up to you, but remember, reading work by authors you admire can be a tricky business. On the one hand, you will be uplifted by their skill and deft mastery of the craft. By the same token, this said skill and mastery may cause you to have an almost uncontrollable urge to spend some quality time in a dark room, banging your head against a wall.

2. I will turn off the Internet. NOTE: But not now, of course. This post is riveting.

1. I will be happier. This one, ironically, is serious. 


My best to you, this year and always. Be well.

Elspeth Antonelli is an author and playwright. Her murder mystery games A Fatal Fairy Tale and Curiouser and Curiouser are among the top-selling mystery games on the internet. All thirteen of her murder mystery games and two audience-interactive plays are published by host-party.com. Her 'writing sheep' are being featured this year in a series of columns in the European writers' magazine Elias. Connect with her on Twitter at @elspethwrites or on Facebook at Elspeth Antonelli, Author.

Comments

  1. Love the resolutions and particularly the explanation (rationalization) that follows each one. :-)

    My contribution to the list: I will edit less (for others) and write more (for me). This is seriously stated, but it seriously hasn't happened in the 2+ years I've been saying it. Will this year be different? For me, it's not the year of the horse...it's the year of finishing all those novels I've started...well, some of them at least.

    Echoing Elspeth's sentiment of wishing a year of wellness and other good things to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With your explanations, this is an entirely doable list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only have one: I plan to stay awake if possible. If words make it on the page, I have exceeded all expectations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got words on a page here. Your expectations have been officially exceeded. What's next?

      Delete
  5. Love your list, and some of them made me laugh out loud. Perhaps I related a bit too much to the rationalization? LOL I did especially like number one. You can make a choice every day to be happy. It is not up to anyone else to do that for you. I hope you have a terrific year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, Maryann ... numero uno is the hot ticket ... all the rest are just icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take cake with icing any day. Happy 2014, Christopher!

      Delete
    2. Resolution #11 for me is to brush up my guitar skills and play in Christopher's band by the end of the year! Hahahaha. Good thing he isn't reading this.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes I am, Dani ... and what a jam it'd be! Keep rockin'!

      Delete
  7. Elspeth - I like the way you think!!! And hey, I've already accomplished two of the goals you mentioned. I've read work by a writer I admire, and I've finished something I started (reading this post). Oh, and I just read more too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I haven't set out resolutions, but I will take on your #4 and #9 resolutions as mine for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were a mermaid, Helen. You don't need resolutions.

      Delete
  9. Your list is a lot longer than mine, but I see we have some of the same ideas!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook