Skip to main content

Happy Independence Day

Today is my birthday. It is also the day we in the United States celebrate Independence Day, marking the end of British rule in the colonies. We hope none of our friends in the U.K. hold that against us. We're happy to remain friends.

When I was a kid, I naturally thought all the hullabaloo - parades, fireworks, picnics, excitement - was meant to celebrate me. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it wasn't. My sister, however, was delighted. She had always resented the fact that my birthday had parades and hers didn't. It was one of those classic "nana, nana, nana," moments between siblings. 

The year I found out the horrible truth was the year it became my turn to refuse to come out from under the bed and go to the corner for the parade.

Still, this holiday always stirs my patriotic spirit. I love the parades and the fireworks, and the general air of excitement and fun that surrounds us as we picnic. I've been known to spend the entire day singing "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy"; much to the chagrin of my children who like to come to Grandma's Ranch to party. I kid myself that they are coming to celebrate me, but I know better. They come because it is a day off work, and they can shoot off fireworks here in the country.

Nothing ever changes, especially my naivety.

I have to admit that the kids do a pretty awesome fireworks show. Here are a couple of shots of fireworks from two years ago. Last year we couldn't do fireworks because of the drought in Texas.


Wishing all in the United States a Happy Fourth of July. Have fun and be safe. And to my kids who may take time out of our busy day to read this, I'm just kidding. I know you come out here for the chores I save up for you. (smile)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Maryann Miller is a novelist, editor and sometimes actress. Her latest release is Open Season as an e-book for all devices. To check out her editing rates visit her website. When not working, Maryann likes to take her dog for a walk and work outside on her little ranch in East Texas. 

Bookmark and Share



Comments

  1. Happy birthday, Maryann. It's funny how we can get our birthdays confused with other things as kids. Mine usually coincided with the first week of school. The plus: I loved school, so this felt like a treat. Downside: Eventually I realized that my siblings also received school supplies on my birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Birthday wishes.

    You are so right, Kathryn, about sharing the day. Imagine how it is for folks with a Dec 25th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very happy birthday - what a day to have the whole country celebrate with you! I can imagine it was terribly confusing to you as a child! Anyhow, think of all the great souls you're identified with and you'll meet them one day in that big blue yonder! Thelma Straw in Mysterious Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a very happy birthday, Maryann! And when I watch the fireworks tonight, I'll think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy B-day! My mother's birthday was on July 1st, but we usually celebrated it during our 4th of July festivities ... she loved being feted with picnics and fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Enjoy your day with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure how I got here today...but it was a snappy good read and I am glad to make your acquaintance...happy birthday and happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Maryann!
    And Happy Independence Day!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! This was my Grandpa's birthday, too. :) One time we were traveling on his birthday and the waitress at breakfast overheard us say what day it was, and she came out with his pancakes in a stack with a lit sparkler sticking out! Good memories. Thanks for bringing that one back. :)

    Marian Allen
    Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the birthday wishes. Much appreciated. Loved the story of your grandfather's pancakes, Marian. What fun.

    Glad you stumbled over to the blog, Jeannette. My very best friend is named Jeannette. We have been friends since we were 11. Not telling how old I am todyay. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook