- Be specific. Narrow down your genre. For example, don't just say you've written a romance. The romance genre contains tons of categories. To help potential readers discover your romance buried amongst others, include another category, such as contemporary, historical, paranormal, Young Adult, etc. To further guide readers to your book, you can narrow the field by including an extra category to the first two, such as a sweet contemporary romance, a Christian historical romance, an erotic paranormal romance. You get the drift. Amazon, for example, provides tons of romance categories from which to choose. I chose the reality show romance category to describe Girl of My Dreams, since it did feature reality show segments. If readers click on that category, my book comes up much faster than in the more populated contemporary romance section.
- Pick the more exciting sounding category. Two Wrongs, for a long time I described it as a mystery. Yes, it belongs to the mystery category, but what takes place is more of a mystery to the hero, and not the reader. The reader knows early on what the villain is planning and even knows who the villain is. However, the hero is unaware of the nefarious plots against him. Calling this book a thriller is not only more exciting, but more accurate. If you wish to judge for yourself, Two Wrongs is now free at Amazon and also free at Smashwords sites.
- Be Truthful. Whatever you do, don't describe your book as an erotic romance, if it's not, and vice versa.
- Make sure your cover fits your genre. As above, take care to make your book's cover not only eye-catching, but also match what's in store. For example, don't put a cozy cover on a police procedural, unless somehow you've written a combination of the two. Don't place a steamy, clinching couple on a sweet romance book. Readers remember betrayals.
- Follow a trend. In a way, I hate to list this one, but since many find this scheme to be useful, I must. If a popular book or movie comes out, you may want to see if your own book mirrors it in even a small way. Many latched onto the Fifty Shades craze to hype erotica, and science fiction got a boost from the movie, Gravity. However, fame through comparison can be fleeting, since another new fad is bound to come up. Still, if you're after immediate gratification, it may work.
Experience the diversity and versatility of Morgan Mandel. Romantic Comedies: Her Handyman, its sequel, A Perfect Angel, standalone reality show romance; Girl of My Dreams. Thriller: Forever Young: Blessing or Curse,its sequel: the Blessing or Curse Collection. Romantic suspense: Killer Career. Mystery:Two Wrongs. Short and Sweet Romance: Christmas Carol. Twitter:@MorganMandel Websites: Morgan Mandel.Com Morgan Does Chick Lit.Com.