Yes, you may have made resolutions back in January, but look upon this month as another chance to start fresh. Work with me here, dammit. Here are September’s Resolutions.
10. I will get up from my chair once every hour and stretch. Yes, I know it’s risky to move and lose being in The Zone, but if I don’t, I end up being in The Soreness. Added Bonus: Hourly pacing and muttering. Never a bad thing.
9. I will remember that my keyboard requires a spill-free zone. Lesson learned on this one. That was a bad day.
8. I will turn the Internet off when I’m working. Somehow, Facebook will be able to muddle through without my presence. It hurts, but it’s true.
7. I will write down words I have to look up in the dictionary, so I can perhaps employ them myself and fool people into thinking I’m cleverer than I am.
6. I will remember that keyboards dislike crumbs almost as much as they dislike liquids. Furthermore, keys smudged with chocolate aren’t charming. They’re sticky.
5. I will remember I tend to get snappy when I don’t write for a few days.
4. Furthermore, manuscripts tend to not write themselves. Damn.
3. Surrounding myself with favourite things may be comforting, but it tends to minimize my actual writing space. Which is why I’m sitting here. Damn again.
2. I will remember that I cannot write brilliance every day. I will also remember that knowing this can’t stop me wanting to.
1. I will remember a dream will only become a goal when I have a plan on how to achieve it.
Happy September, everyone.
Elspeth Antonelli is an author and playwright. Her murder mystery games A Fatal Fairy Tale and Curiouser and Curiouser are among the top-selling mystery games on the internet. All thirteen of her murder mystery games and two audience-interactive plays are published by host-party.com. She has also contributed articles to the European writers' magazine Elias. Connect with her on Twitter at @elspethwrites or on Facebook at Elspeth Antonelli, Author.