There's that stereotype out there that we writers are a hard-drinkin' lot. This may not be completely true, but here are 10 occurrences that might tempt you to slurp from the nearest bottle.
10. You've written the same scene not twice but four times.
9. You've written three afternoons in the same day.
8. Your vegetarian character is tucking hungrily into a steak dinner.
7. You have six characters' names all starting with the same letter.
6. You're sure you've finished polishing your manuscript. Sure. Positively, absolutely sure. Then you see the phrase "this writing sucks, this writing sucks" mid-way down page 53.
5. No one told you writing takes time and discipline. It's like...a job.
4. Your happily-married pair of characters spend the entire book fighting.
3. You spent 2 hours at your laptop. You wrote 1 sentence worth keeping.
2. You're stare resentfully at the thick volumes lining your bookshelves as "How did they manage to do it?" blares in your head.
1. Writing is like a marriage. There will be days (or weeks) when divorce seems like your best option. Power through. Or...have a drink.
Elspeth Antonelli is an author and playwright. Her twelve murder mystery games and two plays are available through host-party.com. She has also contributed articles to the European writers' magazine "Elias". Her blog, "It's A Mystery," explores the writing process with a touch of humor. She is on Twitter as @elspethwrites.