Here are some general guidelines:
Numbers one through one hundred are spelled out as words. Larger numbers, especially dollar amounts, can be written as numerals, but it’s not a mandate. Be consistent within a paragraph.
- Lucy had seen the movie twelve times and spent exactly $132.45 in the process.
- At age ninety-nine, Stella always let out her cats when she left the house. Still, she hoped to make it to a hundred and two, just to show up her sister.
- Jackson looked at his watch: 1:45 p.m. He’d gotten up that morning at four and left the house by five.
- She left home in 1982 but didn’t mature until she took up meditation in the 90s.
- Granny loaded her Ruger .22 and took aim.
- “I’ll get the Colt forty-five,” Gramps shouted.
- Janie used her copy of Rolling Stone to fan away the smoke.
- In a moment of clarity, she grabbed a pen and wrote out a list: get a job, lose five pounds, call my mother.