Skip to main content

#FridayReads Story Building Blocks

After several years away from writing anything but blog posts, I am thrilled to announce my fifteen new book babies and the completion of my Story Building Blocks series as envisioned ten years (yes a decade!) ago. Where has the time gone? They are proof that neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor a mortal battle for one's life can keep a determined writer down forever.


In 2007 I wrote Story Building Blocks I: The Four Layers of Conflict, introducing a method I developed for crafting sound story architecture. A revised and updated version is now available in print and e-book. It can take you from story seed to a bare bones draft.

Then I added SBB II: Crafting Believable Conflict which twists, warps, and tortures sixteen character mannequins based on personality types. The SBB Build A Cast Workbook helps you cast your novel with all sixteen characters.

I also wrote SBB III: The Revision Layers to help writers present a revised draft for submission or to help with self-editing for self-publishing.

This year, I finalized my dream with fourteen genre-specific Build A World Workbooks for Comedy, Con Heist & Prison Break, Fantasy, Gothic, Historical, Horror, Literary, Mystery, Road Trip, Romance, Science Fiction, Team Victory, Thriller, and the Western in print and e-bok.


And finally the SBB: Build A World Workbook helps you develop a three-dimensional story world whether you choose a point in history, a fantasy kingdom, or a science fiction galaxy.

The books are available in both print and E-book versions through my Amazon page and other online venues.

I hope these tools help in some small way to make your story dreams come true. I learned so much along the way and enjoyed sharing my musings with others.

For more information about the series and for free forms visit my website. 

I would love to hear from you if you found my tips useful. If not, connect with me on social media anyway. I adore cute kittens and am always in need of book recommendations to feed my addiction.


Diana Hurwitz is the author of Story Building Blocks: The Four Layers of Conflict, Story Building Blocks II: Crafting Believable Conflict, Story Building Blocks III: The Revision Layers, and the YA adventure series Mythikas Island. Her weekly blog, Game On: Crafting Believable Conflict explores how characters behave and misbehave. Visit DianaHurwitz.com for more information and free writing tools. You can follow her on Facebook and Twitter.




Comments

  1. Good for you, Diana. That's a major accomplishment, and you should be proud of yourself. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! DOUBLE WOW! As an editor I know how much your how-to books will mean to a fledgling writer, a self-publisher, and countless others who haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet. I may even grab a few of them myself. I'll also be glad to make writers who visit my Denver Editor site aware of them (and provide a link) if that's okay with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completing the series, Diana. Like, Linda, I will be sure to point my clients to your helpful workbooks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook