Skip to main content

Humor From Slim Randles

Slim Randles is back again this month with an update on how Dud is doing with his book - or not doing. Dud seems to be having trouble with his protagonists and antagonists, and keeping them straight. Maybe he needs to subscribe to this blog for some help. Poor guy has been slaving away for too long on one book.


Dud rounded the corner on his block and headed for the edge of town at an easy jog. Well, easy for an Olympic miler, he thought. It was making him breathe hard and he wasn’t even a block from the house. But this is the price. Oh yes, the price I must pay for my goal, as Doc had reminded him a few weeks ago.

“Dud,” said Doc, “I worry about you spending so much time agonizing over that book of yours.”

“I have to do it, Doc,” Dud said. “There are still so many things to plan in the book. Things like the duchess’s daughter and her relationship with the truck driver on special assignment …”

“I know that, Dudley,” Doc said, giving Dud a friendly arm squeeze, “but what you need is a kind of cleansing. You know, empty your mind and then let the ideas come. To me, the best idea has been to exercise.”

Dud looked at him strangely.

“Yep. Exercise, Dud. Get out and go jogging or play tennis or something. Not only is the exercise good for your body, but it’ll get that brain cleaned up and working all fresh again. And that solution to your book problem will come. You’ll get it.”

And that’s what had him chuffing and jogging and looking at the trees and appreciating the beauty of the place he called home. But try as he might, the exercise actually intensified his pondering the novel he called “Murder in the Soggy Bottoms,” but was better known to his friends as “The Duchess and the Truck Driver.”

The first draft of the book was rejected by a publisher eight years ago because it had eight murders. In the first chapter. So Dud went back to the drawing board and let seven of those people survive through several more chapters. But it was the relationship. The relationship. Why do things have to be so complicated?

After his run, he pulled up a chair at the philosophy counter at the Mule Barn truck stop.

“Well, Dud,” said Doc, kindly, “did you exercise?”

“Ran a good mile or so, Doc.”

“And did you get it? You know … the solution?”

“I’m not sure,” Dud replied, “but I got tired.”

What do you do to clear your mind and get the creative juices flowing? Does exercise work?

Now a word from the sponsor who makes it possible for Slim to share his columns for free:


Need a job? Full and part time positions open. Email fullwork82@gmail.com for an interview.

The Home Country radio show will be coming soon to a radio station near you! New, from Syndication Networks.



Slim Randles writes a nationally syndicated column, Home Country, and is the author of a number of books including  Saddle Up: A Cowboy Guide to Writing. That title, and others, are published by  LPD Press.

Posted by Maryann Miller - novelist, editor and sometimes actress. Visit her Amazon Author page to find a list of all of her books, and you can see her editing rates and references on her website. Maryann is on Facebook and Twitter, and her Twitter handle is @maryannwrites. Her most recent book releases are Doubletake and Boxes For Beds, both mysteries that are available for Kindle and in paper. When not working, Maryann likes to take her dog for a walk and work outside on her little ranch in East Texas. Slim Randles always makes her laugh.

Comments

  1. When I get stuck and need to clear my mind, I play a game of Sudoku. Then I go back to the story and hope I see things more clearly. Doesn't always work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so bad a Sudoku, I'd waste half a day on one puzzle. Wouldn't work for me. LOL

      Delete
  2. Eight murders in the first chapter? Where can I buy that book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Dud needs to finish writing it, Christopher.

      Delete
  3. I play solitaire -- it's mindless, so I can let thoughts flow at will while I move the cards around. Usually it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reward myself with a few games of solitaire when I finish a good day of writing, but had not thought of using it as a break to get rejuvenated.

      Delete
  4. I can identify with Dud! LOL But for me, hiking or just taking a walk sometimes will clear the cobwebs and help that solution come to the forefront.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite thing, too, Heidi. But I have a friend who swears washing dishes does the trick.Me, I'd rather take the walk.

      Delete

Post a Comment

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. If a glitch is preventing you from commenting, visit our Facebook page and drop your wise words there: Blood-Red Pencil on Facebook