Monday, January 16, 2017

New Year, New Job

There's an old saying, attributed to various sources, that says if you choose a job that you love, you'll never work a day in your life.

Horse hockey.

There are plenty of nurses and teachers who would never consider a different career path, yet regularly ponder the merits of drinking-as-stress-relief. That said, doing something you love is a lot better than being stuck in a job that you hate.

Screaming customers in your office, bad coffee, a boss who withholds your pay, a miserable commute through sleet, tornadoes, and a spider avalanche while fending off drivers who no doubt fished their licenses out of a claw machine ... I needed a change, so I chose a job that I love. I'd like to introduce ALTO Editing Services, my answer to pretty much everything that ever bugged me about my other jobs.

Got a manuscript that needs the red pencil treatment? I'm here to help. Looking for someone to streamline your website homepage? Gimme a call. Want to feed my yarn habit? Send me your book!

I want my fellow writers to succeed just as much as I want to read all the things, so editing is right up my alley. I work from the Chicago Manual of Style (16th Edition), but I'm happy to adapt to your house style and other requirements. As a bonus, all works that I edit will be promoted on the ALTO Facebook page.

So, there you are. A new year, a new job. Will you share your new book with me?

When she's not looking after her husband and son, Audrey Lintner devotes a good-sized chunk of time to books, knitting, coffee, and chocolate. She has worked as a carnival ride operator, a hand model, and a rocket scientist, but not all at the same time. She has an extensive vocabulary of multilingual swears, so please do not ask her to forward a chain letter.


16 comments :

  1. Congratulations, Audrey, on the new job! As a freelance editor, I am confident you will find it intriguing, inspiring, challenging, and rewarding. I'm also confident that you will do a great job for every writer whose books you edit. The CMOS is a great guide, and I know you know it well. I will be happy to share your name/website with any writers whose stories my schedule or my guidelines prevent me from editing. Here's to your success!!!

    P. S. Do you prefer fiction, nonfiction, or do you do both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Much appreciated, on all levels.

      While I lean toward fiction, I will be glad to work on manuscripts of all kinds. *Edits of calculus textbooks and other technical manuals will be very expensive, due to the cost of psychiatric care. ;)

      Delete
  2. Lord knows, the world need more editors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck, Audrey. Life is better when you're doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's why I spend so much time at the yarn shop.

      Delete
  4. Congrats, Audrey. I hope to have a new book to you in a few weeks. I think we already talked about you editing the history book I am working on.

    You did a terrific job on my last two books, and I love working with you.

    And you can put that on your website. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! Testimonials! I love working with you, too. You never throw things. ;)

      Delete
  5. Audrey's wicked-good sense of humor translates beautifully to great advertising copy. Don't forget to talk about your original copy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snicker* "Original copy" sounds like an oxymoron.

      Delete
  6. I kind of like that company name, Audrey. Maybe because I was an Alto in the Glee Club, way back in high school. Best of luck with your venture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, plus baritone on occasion. It was a very small choir. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Do you have preferred genres that you work with? I am a newbie, working on my first novel, a historical mystery. Do you work with that genre?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm terrible with physics textbooks, but I'll have a look at pretty much anything. I'm in the process of getting the website and email set up, so feel free to send some sample pages to the Facebook page via private message. I'll take a peek, and we can plan from there.

      Delete
  8. Hi. I am professional rewriter. Working here. If somebody interesting in my help - you know where to find me.

    ReplyDelete

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. Some of our contributors are editors, some are authors, and some are writing sheep. Yes, sheep.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...