10. Phrase your intention in a positive way. Don’t say ‘I will lose weight’; say ‘I will have a 30 inch waist’.
9. Make it Achievable. To reach the top of the mountain you have to climb for days. It’s not a journey completed in one step. Neither is writing a book or a play or whatever your project may be.
8. Resolve to do something that makes you smile. If thinking about it makes you happy, you’ve got a better chance of following through. If your first thought is “Oh crap” (or something less G-rated), I’d wager you have a smaller chance of success.
7. Keep it Simple.
6. Privacy is Good. No one needs to know your resolutions…unless you need peer pressure to keep them. On the one hand, I understand this. On the other hand, it mades me nervous for your success.
5. Just Do It. Nike is right.
4. Don’t make too many resolutions. How many balls can you juggle? Most people can manage two. Therefore, I suggest making two resolutions.
3. Make the resolution for yourself, not for others. Be honest. Let’s face it. It’s usually harder to impress yourself than impress others (or at least, that’s the way it is for me). Not that I impress others often, but you hopefully get my point.
2. Don’t beat yourself up if you fail the first time. There are 365 days in a year (actually 366 this year). Each day is a fresh beginning. Forgive and move on.
1. Remember, you can’t move forward by looking back. Well, you can, but you’ll bump into things. Don’t.
From me to you, have a wonderful Leap Year. Leap into it!
|Elspeth Futcher is an author and playwright. Thirteen of her murder mystery games and two audience-interactive plays are published by host-party.com. Her A Fatal Fairy Tale, Deadly Ever After and Curiouser and Curiouser are among the top-selling mystery games on the Internet. Elspeth's newest game, The Great British Bump Off is now available from her UK publisher, Red Herring Games, as is her Once Upon a Murder. Elspeth's 'writing sheep' are a continuing feature in the European writers' magazine Elias and also appear on this blog from time to time. Connect with her on Twitter at @elspethwrites or on Facebook at Elspeth Futcher, Author.|