|I Own All the Blue, illustrated by Bess Harding|
I decided to offer my own Look-Inside-the-entire-book to the subscribers of my mailing list. I know parents want to vet books before their children read them (I certainly do). Sometimes a book might seem great, only for the last page to go against the message a parent might want their child to learn. I want people who buy the book to do so knowing exactly what they’re going to get.
But this is much more than a mere Look-Inside. It also:
- Works as pre-launch content
- Offers an incentive to sign up for my mailing list (thereby, hopefully, building a well-targeted mailing list)
- Allows me to follow up with people who might have seen the content (or remind those who haven’t checked it out yet)
- Allows parents/grandparents, etc., to view and vet the entire book
- Potentially avoids some negative reviews
- Promotes the sale of physical copies rather than electronic (but may hinder ebook sales)
- Can be run as an autoresponder following this launch campaign, for new sign-ups
- Rinse and repeat with the next book
Mileage is likely to vary for longer books, but, with this method over permafree/KDP Select/Look-Inside at Amazon , you still have the benefit of collecting email addresses of interested readers (or parents of keen readers). And that’s gold these days.
|Elle Carter Neal is the author of the picture book I Own All the Blue and teen science-fantasy novel Madison Lane and the Wand of Rasputin. She is based in Melbourne, Australia. Find her at ElleCarterNeal.com or HearWriteNow.com|