|Bonus # 11. (Dare we say it?) No trolls to feed.|
Photo by Josh Wedin, via Flickr
10. The ability to weave a plot and create characters to walk its path.
9. Being able to lose myself in my fictional world.
8. Warm soup on a cold day. (Remembering to keep said soup out of the spill-zone.)
7. Fingerless gloves. (No, it doesn’t get that cold in my little corner of Canada, but it does get damp.)
6. The increasingly acceptable option of being in charge of my own destiny by self-publishing.
5. Getting away from the lights of the city and glorying in the wonder of the stars.
4. A purring cat. In my opinion, there are few sounds more comforting that the rumble of a cat’s purr.
3. Typing “The End.”
2. Having my characters talk to me. I might not like what they’re saying or the hour that they’re choosing to say it, but I am grateful that they talk.
1. Being a contributing writer to the Blood-Red Pencil. I have learned so much from reading this blog for the past five years and from writing my monthly post for the past four. Thank you.
To my American friends, wherever you live, enjoy your turkey (or whatever). Have a slice of pie for me.
Elspeth Futcher is an author and playwright. Her murder mystery games A Fatal Fairy Tale, Deadly Ever After and Curiouser and Curiouser are among the top-selling mystery games on the Internet. All thirteen of her murder mystery games and two audience-interactive plays are published by host-party.com. Her newest game, Once Upon a Murder, is now available and published by Red Herring Games. Her 'writing sheep' are a continuing feature in the European writers' magazine Elias. Connect with her on Twitter at @elspethwrites or on Facebook at Elspeth Futcher, Author.