Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Hitting the Writing Wall

This post first ran here on March 9, 2009.

~~~~~~~~~~

“You just can’t get there from here.”

How many times have you heard that direction-giving joke? But often that line describes a type of writer’s block. You’ve written up to a certain point. You know where you want to go up ahead. But what do you write in between? Personally, I have wasted hours, days, even weeks, trying to figure out what to write next, so I can get to that future scene I already have in my head.

But wait. Who says you have to write in a linear fashion? What if you write out of sequence? Aha! Now, you’ve given yourself permission to write the scene from your head and it flows wonderfully. Another Aha! Questions and solutions actually appear about how the character might have arrived here from there. You’re not stuck any more.

As a writing instructor once explained, to build a bridge, one first needs to erect a scaffold. It’s not a lot different in writing. You have several important scaffold scenes in your story or novel that have to take place (there will probably be more than one of each of these scenes in your book):

1. The Introductory Scene where the reader meets your main character.
2. A Meeting Scene, where the main character meets another character (maybe the love interest or maybe his nemesis) This is another form of Introductory Scene.
3. A Conflict Scene where two characters battle it out, whether physically, verbally, or in a match of wits. Or where the character battles himself.
4. A Realization Scene—the moment the character realizes something about herself that is a turning point. Or realizes her “enemy” is really her friend.
5. A Resolution Scene, where a problem is resolved (not necessarily the main one, but a problem nonetheless).
6. A Final Scene, which may or may not be your actual ending. An interesting exercise is to write a scene in which your main character(s) are old and looking back at what happened, what he/she/they learned, how they’ve changed, what they would've done differently, etc. That can give you an insight to “fill in the blanks.”

Another interesting exercise is to write a letter from your main character to yourself, as if this person has just learned you are writing a book about her, how she feels about that, any advice she might have for you, etc. This can be quite revealing. Sometimes you learn that you have a reluctant character, one who doesn’t want her story told. So you have to figure out how to win her over.

A recent article in The Writer magazine talked about writing out of order. The author made similar suggestions to the ones above, such as:

1. Write a scene in which the main character enters a new place.
2. Take a minor character you’ve introduced and write a scene where he/she appears later in the story.
3. Choose a character other than the main character—someone you’d like to know more about, and write a monologue in which she explores or explains herself.
4. Write a scene where your main character has a dream that advances the story.
5. Make a list of at least five crucial scenes that you think will be important for the story/novel (see “scaffold scenes above.)

Any one or all of these scenes may or may not appear in your final draft, but they will help you keep writing and develop ideas.

Have fun, write on and defeat that Writer’s Block! (Now, I just have to take my own advice.)
-------------------------------------
A native Montanan, Heidi Thomas now lives in Northwest Washington. She has just had her first novel published, Cowgirl Dreams, based on her grandmother. Heidi has a degree in journalism, a certificate in fiction writing and is a member of Northwest Independent Editors Guild. She teaches writing and edits, and is working on the next books in her “Dare to Dream” series, and blogs.


Bookmark and Share

11 comments:

  1. Interesting idea, Heidi. I've never used this technique, but I can see how it could give you insights into characters and even plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi- Excellent advice. I once had a short story that wasn't really working. I just cut out a big scene and threw it at the front, another from the middle to almost the end and that mix-up of time made the story so much better. It is now one of my favourites!

    Lots of excellent advice in here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to always write scenes out of order anyways. I just write what I feel like writing.

    It can cause problems later with consistency, so just be careful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent advice! Off to share it with others, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did this "accidentally" with my first novel, and it drove me crazy later trying to fill in all the plotholes while maintaining the same flow as the chapters following and previous. I vowed never to do it again.

    While I try to write in order these days, I do sometimes get so overwhelmed that the flow stops completely. The only way to unclog the writing pipes is to jump ahead to a part of the story I can really get into. That seems to get things flowing again. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good advice, Heidi. Welcome to The Blood Red Pencil. Hope to see lots more of your writing here.

    Dani
    http://blogbooktours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Heidi. I have to tell you, for years I wrote rigidly, never thinking about going out of sequence until about five years ago. Then it hit me... I could always come back and fill in the blank later.

    Jenny Bean
    http://theinnerbean.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Heidi! I have always written out of order. I work from an outline, so it is easy to skip around. It's also easy to spend the day hopping from one scene to another and get nothing accomplished. (The hopping hides the truth about being blocked, for a while.)

    You've provided some ideas that can both take the pressure off and relieve the block - write something connected to the story that I don't actually expect to include. I will give this a shot the next time I hit the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had this realization about writing while lying in bed. Actually, I wanted to read a certain book about a certain topic. Nothing! No book out there like it. No mention of it in google. I lied in bed thinking--well, I guess I have to write it. I started off writing a synopsis...15 pages turned into, 30, then 80, then 300!! I started to flesh out the ideas. I wrote whatever scenes I felt like, completely out of order. I read once Margaret Mitchell wrote "Gone with the Wind" from back to front. It actually works!
    The hard part of course it having the self confidence to leave well enough alone and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the analogy of a scaffolding to bridge the scenes in a book. This is a great post, Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Linda. It can be very helpful!

    ReplyDelete

The Blood-Red Pencil is a blog focusing on editing and writing advice. Some of our contributors are editors, some are authors, and some are writing sheep.

We love our commenters, but we don't always catch anonymous comments that get filtered into the spam folder by Blogger. If you must post anonymously, select the option to provide a Name/URL and use a pen name; you can leave the URL field blank.

Comments on older posts will be held for moderation to prevent spam. We'll publish legitimate comments as soon as we can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...