The Thanksgiving holiday is a special time of year when we pause in our whirlwind lives to remember what we are grateful for. I do try to think of each day with gratitude, but sometimes we do get caught up in the hurried way we live our lives and we start to see only the negative things that happen.
Sometimes the simplest things are what give me pause, bring me to tears:
• A spectacular sunset
• The full moon in a clear sky
• A day of sunshine in the cloudy Pacific Northwest
• My cat sleeping in my lap
I consider myself lucky (maybe that’s the wrong word, maybe it’s the recipient of great gifts) for bigger things in my life too:
• The parents who inspired me to be self-sufficient and independent
• My close family, including my “in-laws” who I think of as sisters
• The wonderful teachers who encouraged me to develop my interest in reading and writing
• My dear husband who has supported my writing dreams without question
And even though we have been going through a very rough year with my husband’s health, we still have each other. I am following my writing dream, I am busy with editing projects, and I just won a WILLA Award.
What more can I ask for?
Happy Thanksgiving, all!
A native Montanan, Heidi M. Thomas now lives in Northwest Washington. Her first novel, Cowgirl Dreams, is based on her grandmother, and the sequel, Follow the Dream, has recently won the national WILLA Award. Heidi has a degree in journalism, a certificate in fiction writing, and is a member of Northwest Independent Editors Guild. She teaches writing and edits, blogs, and is working on the next books in her “Dare to Dream” series.